- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: PROVIDER IT & SERVICES
- Post Date: 11/22/2022
- Website: vitaler.com
- Company Address: 675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE #8500, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, US
About VitalWe’re on a mission to build beautiful and intelligent software for providers and patients.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our remote-first team, in a New Zealand-friendly timezone. You will be working on developing and nurturing a friendly and welcoming culture of high-performance. Your responsibilities will be varied, and we expect you'll demonstrate flexibility when tackling them.
🛠️ Vital builds software for care teams & patients, with a focus on the Emergency Room (ER) experience. We use AI/ML to transform the care experience, increase patient & staff satisfaction, and increase revenue for our clients.
💡 We provide hospitals with a modern UI and AI layer, which we deploy with our seamless implementation process.
🏥 There are more than 140 million visits to the ER every year in the US. Our mission is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
Vital + Engineering
- We build and maintain features using a modern, serverless stack. All of our infrastructure rests within the AWS cloud, with our preference being AWS Managed Services, allowing our engineers to build products rather than maintain servers. Our products consist of mobile web applications (React + GraphQL) backed by DynamoDB, Cognito, and TypeScript Lambdas. We ingest millions of events from core healthcare systems using Rhapsody Integration Engine, TypeScript Lambdas and Kinesis.
- Code is deployed to production via CI/CD multiple times every day, with multiple layers of automated testing and code analysis in place. We prefer to catch potential issues as early as possible, so we continuously invest in our Developer Experience tooling.
- Engineers build, maintain, and support shared services. As such, all of our engineering team (yes, including leadership) participate in our on-call roster.
- Work is prioritized using a Kanban approach, and we constantly improve our approach & methodology as needed. Features are launched in phased approaches, following validation with our end users.
- Our team have adopted asynchronous communication as our preferred form of working together. We eschew unnecessary meetings, write documentation, draft idea documents, and utilize the Slack "Do Not Disturb" functionality.
A successful Engineering Manager at Vital works across the following areas, dedicating more or less time each week to a particular one, where necessary:
- Hiring - For Vital to succeed, we need to be able to hire from a pool of high-quality candidates. As we grow, it is your job to ensure this pool is always sufficient to ensure teams can expand in a timely fashion. This includes working with external parties such as recruiters to source new talent, participating in networking events to raise the company’s profile, and establishing new relationships with talent in other companies. You will also work with potential hires to screen for the very best additions to the team.
- Retention - You will be responsible for keeping a pulse on the engineering team, maintaining an optimal work environment for the engineers to do their best work. This involves regularly catching up with each individual, giving feedback, and removing blockers.
- Growing Our People - Everyone at Vital is a valued contributor to our success. We’re committed to ensuring the success is shared by helping each individual reach their goals as well. As an Engineering Manager, you will be involved in the career development plans for our engineers, helping, coaching and mentoring them along on their journey. You will also assist Vital by developing career paths and running performance reviews.
- Engineering Excellence - You'll ensure that our teams are set up for success in the work that they do. As part of the Engineering Leadership team, you'll maintain and review our incident management processes, support the development of practices that help the team deliver sustainably, and work closely with our Product Managers and other internal stakeholders to ensure that the Engineering roadmap is delivering value to our internal and external customers.
- Culture - You will contribute towards building a good, sustainable culture for high-performing teams to operate in. This might include things like monitoring team health and performance, team-building activities, encouraging continuous improvement of team processes, consulting on office policies and changes, and championing initiatives for our engineering teams.
- Managing Up - As part of the leadership team, you will contribute to your manager’s success by keeping them informed of what’s going on with your team, surfacing the right amount of information when they need it to perform their job well. In return, expect the autonomy and support you require to be the best leader for your team.
- We’re working on problems which have a real impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, patients get better care.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct. We believe this approach will help us attract and grow a diverse bunch of talented people that are supportive, calm, clear, empathetic, and results-oriented.
- We prefer working smarter, not longer. You're not expected to put in wild hours, that's just not what we do.
- You'll get a competitive salary.
- We're constantly improving our systems and processes, and you'll be expected to continue to shape this as we journey together.
We also provide great benefits to our team:
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- Four weeks of annual leave for our team, ensuring you can take vacations as you need.
- We provide paid leave for new parents.
Hiring @ Vital
Does this role and organisation seem like a good opportunity for you? If so, have a read of our code of conduct, then use the "Apply Now" link to fill out an application. Once we've received your application, we'll send through some technical challenges and puzzles for you to work through in your own time (they shouldn't take too long to complete). From there, we will be in touch.
If you qualify for a good role at Vital, we'll invite you to a round of interviews. There are three stages to our interview process, as follows:
- Culture & Screening. This is where you introduce yourself, and we introduce ourselves and the company, explaining what we're about, why we're doing what we're doing, and the type of person we're looking for.
- Technical. This is where we'll sit with you to talk about technical problems relevant to the role you're applying for, looking to see if you can demonstrate the skills required to fulfil the role.
- Executive. This is where you get to meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company and its founders/leadership team.
We are committed to providing all candidates with constructive feedback during this process.
Vital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.