- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: PROVIDER IT & SERVICES
- Post Date: 11/22/2022
- Website: vitaler.com
- Company Address: 675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE #8500, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, US
About VitalWe’re on a mission to build beautiful and intelligent software for providers and patients.
We are looking for Senior and Staff level Data Engineers to join our remote-first team, in a New Zealand & US friendly timezone. You’ll have the opportunity to drive the evolution of a data platform which supports products that improve the healthcare experience for millions of patients and care team members.
This is a full time, permanent position.
🛠️ Vital builds software for care teams & patients, with a focus on the Emergency Room (ER) experience. We use AI/ML to transform the care experience, increase patient & staff satisfaction, and increase revenue for our clients.
💡 We provide hospitals with a modern UI and AI layer, which we deploy with our seamless implementation process.
🏥 There are more than 140 million visits to the ER every year in the US. Our mission is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
Vital + Data Engineering
- The Data Engineering team is responsible for sourcing, ingesting, and processing customer-sourced data into our data platforms for use by other parts of the business.
- We support our Data Science and Product teams to perform research, gather insights, and make decisions using our data.
- We work closely with the Data Science team to enable them to deliver the ML models that drive Vital’s products’ features. We’re responsible for productionising these models, as well as ensuring the infrastructure that drives these models, like our real-time feature platform or our testing and deployment processes, is resilient, performant, and efficient.
- We build and maintain our products using a modern, serverless stack. All of our infrastructure rests within the AWS cloud, with our preference being AWS Managed Services, allowing our engineers to build products rather than maintain servers. We ingest millions of events from core healthcare systems using Rhapsody Integration Engine, TypeScript Lambdas and Kinesis.
- Data is very important to us. Our core products and insights are backed by our data warehousing services, so reliability and high availability in these services is critical. We make data-driven decisions to improve our products, develop new features, and enhance existing functionality. Our data stack uses managed AWS services including S3, Redshift and Kinesis Firehose. We make use of Databricks for large batch data processing, and serve up our inference models using Tecton and SageMaker.
- Code is deployed to production via CI/CD multiple times every day, with multiple layers of automated testing and code analysis in place. Feature flagging is our preferred method of roll-out, allowing us to validate new features & enhancements. We prefer to catch potential issues as early as possible, so we continuously invest in our Developer Experience tooling.
- Engineers build, maintain, and support shared services. As such, all of our engineering team (yes, including leadership) participate in our on-call roster.
- Work is prioritized using a Kanban approach, and we constantly improve our approach & methodology as needed. Features are launched in phased approaches, following validation with our end users. Our teams have adopted
- as our preferred form of working together. We eschew unnecessary meetings, write documentation, draft idea documents, and utilize the Slack "Do Not Disturb" functionality.
Vital + You
- We're looking for an experienced Data Engineer that can hit the ground running, working across our data tech stack. You'll need to be comfortable with evolving both streaming and batch applications, and have experience with different data processing techniques (i.e. Map Reduce, ETL, SQL Materialised Views, Apache Spark).
- You’ll have proven experience designing, building, and supporting data pipelines using cloud platforms like AWS, and with cleaning, validating, and visualising data.
- We're looking for great engineers. A great engineer doesn't need to necessarily have experience with every technology we use, we can teach that. Curiosity and drive are important, as every day you'll constantly be improving and learning.
- Some work experience from previous roles is required. We're looking for engineers that have had the highs and lows of success and failure. Failures are often full of good lessons, and we want you to bring these lessons to Vital.
- This role requires canny and innovative software design. A strong mathematical foundation is important, along with a Computer Science background. A university, polytechnic, or college qualification is a good indication but we are flexible for a candidate with strong fundamental knowledge.
- You'll be making important decisions on a regular basis. We've got a good support structure of leads and software architects to assist with the hard ones. Our preference is for pragmatism, rather than idealism.
- Communication is important, especially in a remote-first team. You need to be proficient in English, both written and verbal.
- Grow your skills! We will provide you with opportunities to grow professionally, and we expect you to contribute positively to our team, tools, and processes.
- We’re working on problems which have a real impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, patients get better care.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct. We believe this approach will help us attract and grow a diverse bunch of talented people that are supportive, calm, clear, empathetic, and results-oriented.
- We prefer working smarter, not longer. You're not expected to put in wild hours, that's just not what we do.
- You'll get a competitive salary.
- We're constantly improving our systems and processes, and you'll be expected to continue to shape this as we journey together.
We also provide great benefits to our team:
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- Four weeks of annual leave for our team, ensuring you can take vacations as you need.
- We provide paid leave for new parents.
Hiring @ Vital
Does this role and organisation seem like a good opportunity for you? If so, have a read of our code of conduct, then fill out an application. Once we've received your application, we'll send through some technical challenges and puzzles for you to work through in your own time (they shouldn't take too long to complete). From there, we will be in touch.
If you qualify for a good role at Vital, we'll invite you to a round of interviews. There are three stages to our interview process, as follows:
- Culture & Screening. This is where you introduce yourself, and we introduce ourselves and the company, explaining what we're about, why we're doing what we're doing, and the type of person we're looking for.
- Technical. This is where we'll sit with you to talk about technical problems relevant to the role you're applying for, looking to see if you can demonstrate the skills required to fulfil the role.
- Executive. This is where you get to meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company and its founders/leadership team.
Interviews for this role will total about 2 hrs 45 minutes. We are committed to providing all candidates with constructive feedback during this process.
Vital was founded with the goal of providing modern healthcare software to providers and patients everywhere, regardless of identity or circumstances. We’re striving to build a diverse and inclusive team who are equally as passionate about our mission as we are - that being said, if you are excited about improving healthcare and patient experiences, but don’t think you tick every box in our job ad, please still consider applying - we’d love to hear from you.
Vital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.